PRI made this submission to the UN Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women ahead of their pre-sessional working group in July 2014 in connection with the consideration of the Fourth periodic report of Kyrgyzstan. It proposes themes for inclusion in the ‘List of Issues’.
The themes relate to women in the criminal justice system, and specifically address:
- the link between violence against women and women offenders
- gender-sensitive sentencing policies
- provision of gender-specific healthcare in prisons
- discriminatory substance abuse treatment
- specific needs of women following release (including due to previous domestic violence).
The topics raised relate to Articles 2, 4, 5, 10, 11 and 12 of the Convention, and draw on the UN Bangkok Rules.
Read PRI’s research report on Kyrgyzstan, Who are women prisoners? Survey results from Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan which presents findings from a survey of women prisoners in 2013.
If you download a resource, please link to it from your website or share with your professional network.