The OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) and PRI invite you to a webinar launch of our new publication ‘Protecting Human Rights in Prisons while Preventing Radicalization Leading to Terrorism or Violence: A Guide for Detention Monitors’. The guide underlines the importance of independent detention monitoring and looks in detail at a number of specific human rights risk areas in preventing and countering violent extremism and radicalization that lead to terrorism (VERLT) in a prison context. For each of those risk areas, the guide highlights relevant issues for detention monitors to consider and assess in carrying out their work; and it discusses specific practical challenges that may arise when examining VERLT-related issues in detention monitoring.
Download the flyer.
Read the guide.
- 15 July 2021, 14:00 – 15:30 CEST
- English/Russian interpretation
- Register: bit.ly/3ds2mEx
The webinar will consist of:
- a brief presentation of the new publication;
- a keynote address on the importance of independent detention monitoring for the protection of human rights while preventing and countering VERLT in prisons; and
- a moderated panel discussion with national and international experts and detention monitors. The panel discussion will provide space to address questions and comments from the audience.
The event will reflect on good practices to address key human rights challenges in the context of preventing and countering VERLT in prisons and seek to offer practical guidance for independent detention monitors.
If you download a resource, please link to it from your website or share with your professional network.