Together with the Quaker UN Office (QUNO), and the Permanent Representations of Switzerland and Uruguay to the UN in Geneva, Penal Reform International invites delegates, representatives of NGOs and interested stakeholders to a briefing on 4 February 2015 in Geneva on the recently adopted revised UN Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners, the ‘Nelson Mandela Rules’.
At this briefing, the expert panel will provide an overview of the revision process and the significance of this set of standards, and then focus on a number of critical areas of the Rules that were updated. It will seek to initiate discussion on the implementation of the Nelson Mandela Rules and to start collecting recommendations and good practice in this regard.
Download the flyer (pdf).
The panel will be moderated by Laurel Townhead, Quaker UN Office, and includes:
- Representative of the Permanent Mission of Switzerland
- Philipp Meissner, UN Office on Drugs and Crime
- Robert Husbands, Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Nigel Rodley, Chair, Essex University Human Rights Centre
- Stefan Enggist, World Health Organization
- Andrea Huber, Penal Reform International
Details: 4 February 2015, 3 – 5.00pm (with informal reception), Room XXV, Palais des Nations, Geneva.