Last year, PRI and our partner organisation Bangladesh Legal Aid and Services Trust (BLAST) conducted research into the development and use of probation in Bangladesh. Findings and recommendations from the research previously formed the basis of discussions at a seminar on increasing the use of probation in Bangladesh held by PRI and BLAST in Dhaka in December, and now inform this report.
The general objective of this study is to identify and analyse the development and use of the probation system within the framework of administration of justice in Bangladesh. Specifically it aims to:
- analyse the development of the probation system in Bangladesh
- review the existing laws (both substantive and procedural) that mandate probation in Bangladesh
- examine the use of probation in practice in Bangladesh
- analyse the gaps between the law and practice of probation in Bangladesh
- propose effective policy recommendations and ways of implementing alternatives to imprisonment in Bangladesh, with a particular focus on probation.
The report is now being disseminated to officials to promote the use of probation and alternatives to custodial sentences.
This publication has been produced with the financial assistance of the UK Government.
If you download a resource, please link to it from your website or share with your professional network.