A short guide to the fundamental issues and arguments linked to introduction of alternative sanctions following abolition of the death penalty. It reviews current trends in the application of long-term and life imprisonment, highlighting relevant international and regional human rights standards and provides examples of good practice.
Topics covered include:
- Current practices worldwide regarding alternatives to the death penalty
- Different forms of life sentence
- Life without parole
- A human rights framework for life and long-term prisoners
- Solitary confinement for life and long-term prisoners
- Vulnerable life and long-term prisoners
- Monitoring prisons where life and long-term prisoners are held
- Social reintegration of those serving life sentences
Plus a 12-point plan for policy-makers on how to implement alternative sanctions to the death penalty that respect international human rights norms and standards.
This edition was published in 2015 and replaces the first edition published in 2011.
If you download a resource, please link to it from your website or share with your professional network.