We believe that in a fair and effective criminal justice system, offenders are held to account, sentences are proportionate, and the primary purpose of prison is rehabilitation not retribution.
We want to see:
- a reduction in unnecessary imprisonment through greater use of non-custodial alternatives
- the improvement of prison conditions and the prevention of torture and ill-treatment
- child-friendly criminal justice systems which use detention only as a last resort
- proportionate and gender-sensitive responses to women offending
- the abolition of the death penalty and the introduction of humane alternative sanctions.