We want to see:
- Criminal justice systems that respect the rule of law, uphold the rights of suspects and defendants and prevent the unnecessary use of pre-trial detention.
- Fair and proportionate sentencing that takes account of the circumstances of both the offence and the offender.
- Humane treatment and conditions for prisoners and prevention of torture in all places of detention.
- Safer communities through rehabilitation, reintegration interventions and interventions to reduce re-offending.
To achieve our goals, we work as a catalyst for change through a smart mix of advocacy and practical programmes for reform. We work on four inter-connecting levels.
- We advocate criminal justice reform at national, regional and international levels, engaging with governments, authorities and inter-governmental organisations.
- Our regional offices deliver practical programmes, often in partnership with local civil society partners, promoting and implementing human rights and international standards.
- We develop and disseminate information and resources through our publications and this website.
- We build the capacity of local civil society organisations to address penal reform in their work and give them a platform to raise human rights issues with authorities.
Read our Strategic Plan 2015-2020