Death Penalty and Human Rights: the Way Forward: Side event tomorrow - 24 October - at the UN General Assembly
Wednesday, 24 October 2012
6:15 pm – 7:45 pm
Conference Room E, North Lawn Building (NLB)
This side-event is organised by the Special Procedures Branch of the OHCHR in cooperation with PRI and the World Organisation against Torture (OMCT).
The UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Mr Christof Heyns, and the Special Rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, Mr Juan Mendez, both will present their respective reports on the death penalty to the General Assembly’s 67th Session.
This side-event shall intensify the impact of their thematic reports and further generate the discussion around capital punishment in light of the global trend towards abolition and possible new developments in law and practice.
- Mr Christof Heyns, UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions
- Mr Juan E. Méndez, UN Special Rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment
- Mr Santiago Canton, Member of the Executive Council, World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT)
- Ms Andrea Huber, Policy Director, Penal Reform International (PRI)
- Mrs Widney Brown, Senior Director for Law and Policy, Amnesty International (AI)
- Mr Robert Renny Cushing, Murder Victims' Families for Human Rights (MVFHR)
Moderator: Maria McFarland, Acting Director, US Program, Human Rights Watch (HRW).